May 13, 2010

Freedom Loaf



Mrs Finch was out of town for a week and I was left to hunt and/or gather my own food. For six out of seven days, I subsisted mostly on packets of unsweetened Kool-Aid mix and potpourri, but on day seven -- glorious day seven! -- I reached deep into the pantry and created a meal. Gentle readers, I give you... The Freedom Loaf*:

1 lb ground beef
1 egg, beaten like Gordon Brown
1/2 cup O'Charley's honey mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
1 tbsp Dale's Steak Seasoning
1 tsp chipotle chile powder
2 cups garlic and onion croutons, pummeled angrily to dust
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mush everything into a big pale greyish lump and plop into any pan with sides (1" or deeper). Cook uncovered for one hour. Remove from oven using clean(ish) bathmat since you can't find a potholder. Scrape the fat drippings from the edges to give to your dogs, then slice meatloaf and serve with Cool Ranch Doritos or Nutter Butters.

*That's right. Scotticus Finch's milestone 100th post is a meatloaf recipe. Deal.

5 comments:

  1. You eat Cool Ranch Doritos with Freedom Loaf? How does taste feel in mouth? In Russia, Cool Ranch Doritos eat you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, meatloaf is disgusting. I was hoping to hear about your night with Meatloaf ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you misunderstood. That was a description of my night with Meatloaf.

    We tested the very limits of the phrase "...♫But I won't do that♪" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I am still tech challenged. I thought I had left a comment here the day you posted, but I see it is not here. Whatever I said was probably only some trite comment about your meatloaf recipe sounding good and wishing we had had you down for a meal that week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dad is so sweet! I can't help but think you got away with a heck of a lot growing up! DocHunter, I posted on your blog. I have a feeling you don't have your comments emailed to you. This would allow you to know when someone has posted on your blog. I received remarks on some of my older stories and It is an easy way to know that you have been read. SF, meatloaf and Jim Steinman deny the rumor about "But I won't do that" but I really thought I heard one of them confirm the story. Like Watergate's Deep Throat, we'll have to wait till someone is on their deathbed.

    ReplyDelete